Sunday 27 November 2011

last part

Maggi...I have looked at the bias maker a couple of times, but there always seemed to be something else I wanted ...MORE!!!! I may have to put it on a Christmas wish list.

Judy, this lends itself to any project...a table runner would be stunning...

NOW we are on the final leg....Ready?....Here we go!

The sewing comes next, for me this is the best bit, I can settle down in the chair, put the radio (radio 4) on, or a film I know SO well I don't need to look at the pictures (!) and I am away to go.

When you start sew down the INSIDE edges first, this allows the bias to settle into place. I use a small needle as this helps me to make smaller stitches...mind you the ones in this picture look HUGE !!!



Now, thread, I find this is a very personal issue. I like to use medium to dark threads. I find they fade into the fabric much more than a light one. So, I don't worry about matching background or bias...just go with what I feel "fades in" most.


When the inside is completely sewn, I them sew the OUTSIDE edges.This way the bias can stretch into place, and this allows it to lie flat. For those who do not like hand work this can always be done with a zig-zag or blind hem stitch...on the machine...again it is personal preference,,,,its YOUR project after all!



I have made this block into a cushion, BUT ,the list of what to use it for is only limited by your imagination. I hope this has been FUN and now you are itching to...HAVE A GO. I just did a zig-zag to accentuate the pattern...YES I do use the machine occasionally!



Keep smiling

Diane xx

2 comments:

Pippa Parsons said...

ohhh I always thought about hand stitching it...hmm my curves on the machine wouldn't be good enough, love that fabric, what is it ??

Kleep said...

That zig-zag stitching is just lovely! Came from the small blog meet :-)